Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Announcing...

The 1st Announcement-my family
December was a bit early for announcing our news but I thought it would be fun to spill the beans on Christmas morning.  So I decorated a frame with a picture of the two of us, recently taken at Temple Square under the Christmas lights, and wrote the following on the frame...
Dinner with Family: $30
Parking Downtown: $5
Gourmet Hot Chocolate: $7
Knowing there are really three people in this picture: PRICELESS
I had my mom open the wrapped frame, I was crying by that time (courtesy of my mothers genes), so I sort of gave it away but she got it...it took other family members (won't mention who) either a little while to get it or an explination was given.  Some were really looking for someone else in the photo...hahaha! 

My family members that were privy to the news that day were...
Mom & Dad
Amber & Andy (+kids)
Tarynn & Dan (+kids)
Trent & Beth
Dick & Joan (My moms parents got to find out then because they had joined us for brunch!)

The 1st Announcement-Colbys family
His mom lives in Florida so we had to do something different for her.  In her Christmas package we sent  chocolates from Belgium and a pair of newborn socks with a card telling her a new stocking would be needed next year.  She was so excited she didn't even see the rest of the gift until after she called Christmas morning and we infomed her they were in the bottom of the box.  Too funny.  This will be her first grandbaby!

Terry, Colbys dad was also given newborn socks with a card indicating that a new stocking would need to be hung next year.  He soooo didn't get it, I think he said something to the effect of these are cute.  Clayton, Carter and Khristina were also present when he opened it.  Lets just say the smartest cookie in the bunch was Khristina (female intuition), I think she said something to the effect of "are you serious?"  Then...the boys caught on.

The 2nd Announcement
Once I hit 12 weeks it was time to spill the beans to everyone. So my moms side of the family was informed at our Girls Night Out at the cabin.  My dads side of the family was informed extensively through the grape vine, once I told my grandpararents!  Friends were either called, emailed, or saw the announcement on Facebook.  As for Colbys extended family, his grandparents had already been informed and sworn to secrecy.  So when we had family dinner at a Chilis on the 30th of January, we told everyone we wanted a group picture.  We all leaned in and were instructed to say "Cheese", Colby took the picture and then told us it was blurry.  So we all leaned into the table again and this time he instructed us all to say "We're Expecting!" and took the picture.  Checkout the results...Karlys face cracks me up!

So that was how we announced our thrilling news.  I had to be sort of creative, you only get once to be a first time mom!


3 comments:

Morgan and Joel said...

I decided that since you posted the address on FB it was fair game!

You guys are cute - maybe Joel and I should be a little more creative next time around. Congrats again.

xoxoxox

I AM A DREAMER said...

I love the story at Chilis. That is a hoot. Congrats you two!!

April said...

how fun and creative :)